Inside the Brain of a Teenage Soccer Genius

Essays, Player Reviews, Scouting Reports, Events, Match Reviews, Statistics and Things of no Importance

Thursday, July 26, 2012

This Weekend...

What is potentially coming your way depending on my internet feed...

There's only so much a 17 year-old blogger can do, and sometimes I bite off much more than I can chew. This week has been a fine example of me seeing these mouthwatering fixtures in all different leagues (Olympics, Swiss Super League, USL and a whole bunch of preseason games) and then realizing that as much as I'd like to, I can't dedicate the full 24 hours allotted in a day to watching the beautiful game. Trust me, I've tried. There were several games that I was looking forward to covering this weekend, until I realized that they either coincide with each other or I will be sitting on a flight from Seattle to Washington DC at the time the game is played. Just a look at what's ahead:

Friday July 27th: Rochester Rhinos vs. Los Angeles Blues ~ USL Pro (North America)
McFayden (L) of Rochester and Burke (R) of LA
were teammates in the PDL last season
The second place Rochester Rhinos will be hosting eighth place LA Blues on Friday in Rochester New York. Rochester need the points to distance themselves from the looming Charleston Battery (Rochester currently has 35 points while the Battery has 33) and while Orlando City has run away with the first place spot, the other playoff spots are still being contended for. The Blues are currently tied on points with the Charlotte Eagles, who are hosting the Richmond Kickers. If the Eagles win against the Kickers, they will go level with the Virginia side on points while a win for the Blues would either keep them in eighth place or propel them over Charlotte. I was hoping to tune into this game to watch former Kitsap Pumas players Kendell McFayden of Rochester face off against Bryan Burke of LA, but if the internet at my cruising altitude isn't strong enough to hold the feed I will have to wait in desperate anticipation for next season.
Saturday July 28th: Grasshopper Club Zurich vs FC Basel ~ Swiss Axpo Super League
The Axpo Super League continues this weekend when fifth place Grasshoppers host third place and defending champions FC Basel. Basel were lucky to draw in their first home match against FC Luzern after trailing twice in the match. Grasshoppers lost in their opening game of the season to FC Sion, but were able to bring home all three points from their away match against Young Boys in Bern last weekend.
Saturday July 28th: Liverpool FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur ~ Preseason Friendly
Liverpool and Tottenham will clash in a preseason friendly in Baltimore, Maryland. I will be attending this game and if I get good pictures, I will upload an album on Facebook to go along with the match report. I'm looking forward to seeing the new talent from both sides!
Sunday July 29th: Men's Olympic Soccer Continues!
Group A: 
Senegal vs. Uruguay
Great Britain vs. United Arab Emirates
Group B:
Mexico vs. Gabon
Switzerland vs. Korea Republic
Group C:
Brazil vs. Belarus
Egypt vs. New Zealand
Group D:
Spain vs. Honduras
Japan vs. Morocco


No comments: