Inside the Brain of a Teenage Soccer Genius

Essays, Player Reviews, Scouting Reports, Events, Match Reviews, Statistics and Things of no Importance

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Monterrey are CONCACAF Champions!

Congratulations to Monterrey (from Monterrey, Mexico) who have just defeated Santos in an intense thriller of a match to be crowned CONCACAF Champions! They now qualify for the 2012 Club World Cup and will face off against the best from around the world.

Just a side note- the winner was determined on aggregate over two legs, one at Santos's home pitch and one in Monterrey. The final aggregate score was 3-2 after Santos managed to rally and score two goals. But why on earth would a competition determine the winner of a championship final with aggregate? I personally think that's ridiculous, but maybe there is some really good reason that is unknown to me since I pride myself in specializing in Swiss soccer, not CONCACAF... I don't even know what CONCACAF stands for.
Well, this has been a short and sweet article written in a rather sarcastic manner. Think of this like talking to me, because if I were to call someone and tell them that Monterrey won the CONCACAF Champions League, the paragraph above is along the lines of what I would actually say. Along with "Umm... so what's CONCACAF? And why do they play two legs for their final? I almost went to Monterrey."

No comments: